Wednesday, July 27, 2005

heat

summer
sizzle
hot wet heat
the garden screams
dog days
lie around
and stay
like tics in a wound
festering
till all thought
is muddled
puddles
of sweat
weep
to the floor
pipes condense
drip
drip
the former
air
heat rises
from the blacktop
like a desert
mirage
con ed
strains to keep up
swelter
sings through the wires
i
strain to see through
my
anxiety
i am a welfare mom
a
homeless nameless
being
stifling
in the heat
of my imagining
my church fan
is sagging
my
years
weigh in
the heat
stays
and grows
like
a
jungle vine
gripping
my
choke
this heat
seals my books
the wax melts
into the carpet
and
inside
i remain
cool
ahhhhhhhhh
i know
this heat
will
pass
is
passing
and
it nourishes
the earth
i am part of that
i am being nourished
so
play on


1 Comments:

Blogger Prez said...

(snaps)...very nicely written.
~Steph, fellow poet

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home